Monday, December 30, 2013

Oat and cinnamon pancakes {Recipe}


I am a fan of pancakes in general but I loove these pancakes.  I came across this recipe a few years ago on another blog, http://sundayhotpants.nocturne.net.nz/, and have made them almost every weekend since.  That's a lot of pancakes!

I know this blog is mostly about baking and decorating but I think these pancakes are worthy of a post here. Plus it does have the word cake in it so that must count right?

The original recipe is from Julie le Clerc, who is a well-known New Zealand chef and has written many fabulous books.  I have mentioned her before in my other posts when I make some of her fabulous cakes.  I have adapted this recipe slightly as I am experimenting with using spelt flour instead of plain flour.  Spelt flour is not gluten free, but it is more easily digestible than normal flour, so I have been trying to work this into our everyday food.  I have also added blueberries or bananas to the mixture if I have them on hand.  I have also topped them off with blueberry or strawberry compote if I have that too.  Very adaptable!

Recipe for Oat and cinnamon pancakes (Adapted from Julie le Clerc's Cafe@home)
Makes about 8-9 pancakes

1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
3/4 cup milk (may need a bit more if mixture is too dry)
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup white spelt flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
Blueberries/bananas (optional)

1.  Soak the oats and milk for 10-15 minutes.
2.  Add sugar, oil and egg to oat mixture and mix well.
3.  Add the flour, cinnamon and baking powder.  If the mixture is too thick or dry, add more milk.
4.  Ladle a large spoonful into a pan on medium heat.  At this point, you can add slices of bananas or
     blueberries if you like.  Turn over once you see bubbles forming. 
5.  Serve with butter and honey/maple syrup/berry compote.  Enjoy!

I hope you try them!  They are delish! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment