Monday, September 30, 2013

Fireman Sam cake



This cake was a lot of fun to do!  It was a HUGE cake as well, measuring 11 inches in length and 5 inches wide.  My friend's daughter loves watching Fireman Sam so mum thought it would be great if she could have it for her second birthday.  I have to say it did come with a few challenges.  I have not covered such an unusual shaped cake before so it took a couple of attempts to cover the whole truck in the red fondant smoothly.


If you can get your hands on Debbie Brown's Children's Character Cakes, I highly recommend it as she has instructions on how to do a Fireman Sam cake.  Unfortunately, I only managed to get hold of the book after I had to do the cake, but it worked out well in the end.  Just look around on the web for lots of inspiration!

Here is what the other side of the cake looked like.  The cake board was looking a little empty on this side so I added a fire hydrant to it at the last minute.

 Here is the back of the cake.  There were quite a few versions on what the back of the fire truck was supposed to look like so I improvised a little.

And finally, here is our little hero, Fireman Sam.  He was quite easy to do.  The only trouble I had was getting his hat to fit his head!  To learn how to make a simple fondant figure, look up my post here.

I managed to take some photos along the way on how I made this cake, so watch out for it soon!  :)

Thanks for stopping by!
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment